AT “AU BARDECHE”
The cozy 1640’s French farmhouse kitchen, with its original fireplace, is well equipped with
- Double door Fridge/Freezer with cold water dispenser and an icemaker.
- Large gourmet stove with7 rings, hot plate, large grill and 2 ovens. (One is a fan oven)
- A high quality selection of kitchen utensils, pots and pans and dinnerware.
- Coffee maker, kettle, toaster and a food processor.
- Plenty of counter space.
- Large kitchen table with antique chairs. (Seats 8-10 persons)
From the kitchen there are one door leading to the large newly finished dining room “ The Guild Hall”.
(Named by our own family (“chef ”/ father) This wonderful space seats at this time 8-10 persons comfortably and has lovely views of the plum orchards and the countryside beyond.
The other door opens out unto the “ Breakfast nook” where the Lady of the house prefers to
enjoy her morning tea or coffee. This terrace has a small table with a sun umbrella and a
great view of the garden and the pool. (click the picture to enlarge)
The open and spacious hallway, featuring glass windows from floor to ceiling, leads you from the TV/reading room to the small and cozy courtyard. This is a perfect place to relax with a glass of chilled wine when you want to get out of the sun. It is also a safe place for children to play since it is walled in.
From early spring until late fall the “summer kitchen” is the favourite place to enjoy
great foods, wines and views. The outdoor “kitchen” seats up to 12 people comfortably
and has a small fireplace/grill. Many cozy nights are shared here, with friends and
family, listening to the crackling fire and watching the moon shine unto the pool.|
Some even go for a midnight swim!
- A living room w/ original tiled floors, a lovely restored fireplace and French doors opening up unto the garden.
- A comfortable and airy library/ TV room where you can lounge, read or watch satellite TV. (W/VCR)
- 5 LARGE BEDROOMS
- The BLUE room with its en suite bathroom w/shower
- The YELLOW room
- The GREEN room
- The Master bedroom with walk through closets to the master bathroom and a fireplace
- The Beautifully restored bedroom w/ 2 original “ Bardeche” antique beds and a fireplace. (This is a favourite)
- 3 1/2 BATHROOMS
- 1 en suite bath w/shower and wc (the blue room)
- 1 bath w/shower and wc (shared by green and yellow room)
- The master bathroom with the popular soaker tub in front of the fireplace. 2 sinks, a large shower, bidet and a wc
- 1 guest wc in the hallway
- The Utility room with washer/ dryer and a wash basin is attached to the house. iron and iron board here
- The Utility room with washer/ dryer and a washbasin is attached to the house. This is where you will find the iron and an iron board as well as cleaning supplies if needed
ACTIVITIES AT THE HOUSE
- The swimming pool is 10m x 6m with steps at one end that leads you into the shallow part of the pool. (Plastic air mattresses and toys w/an air pump can be found in the” fun and games” section of the garage)
- The surrounding garden is a private and wonderful place to sunbathe while enjoying the fantastic views over the plum orchards and across the rolling countryside. Parasols and sun beds are provided.
- A game of badminton or cricket is always fun on the grassy area next to the pool.
- Darts and a game of ping-pong can be enjoyed in the spacious garage.
- 2 bicycles are provided for those who want to explore the country roads in the area and for the ones who enjoy walking there is a lovely gravel road nearby where you can stroll along the farmers fields and get a glimpse of the local animal life.
THINGS TO DO AND SEE IN AND AROUND THE DURAS AREA
- Chateau Duras
- “The Bastides”
- Local Markets-move form village to village. Details on days and locations can be found in our information binder upon arrival at “Au Bardeche”
- Local wineries. Where one can sample and buy the superb wines of Cote de Duras.
- The wine growing areas of Bordeaux, e.g.; St Emilion are easily reach by car and are wonderful day trips.
- Golf courses
- Water park
- Canoe and boat rentals
- Shopping and people watching. Locally; Marmande(15 min) and Bergerac(45min) to name a few.
- Bigger cities to explore Bordeaux (45 min), Tolouse (2 ½ hours)
- Recommended Longer day trips or ” overnighters”
- Biarritz on the western coastline. Surfer’s location.
- St Jean de Luz; small cozy coastal town with a rich cultural atmosphere. If you are interested in the arts, this is the place to be. The large marked, in the heart of town, offers plenty of café’s and restaurants to chose from. Artists from near and far showcase their works under the trees in the market place. Great place to relax and people watch.
- St Sebastian in the Basque region is a must for the ones who enjoy grand architecture and coastal beauty
- Bilbao – the famous Guggenheim museum of modern art, not to be missed.
- The Pyrenees- for those who want to be adventurous.
More details on these places and how to get there can be found in our Information Binder, when you arrive at “ AU BARDECHE ”